Sunday, June 10, 2007

Experimenting

This is my "little" sister Katie. My mom took this before her baccalaureate ceremony tonight!



Today I shot Katie's senior portraits. It's so strange to think of her graduating! I really like photographing her even if I know that she hates it. She really does not like pictures of her, she's very self conscious. I made it a goal to take a least one shot that SHE liked. Of course my mom liked them all, and I like a lot of them.
Katie is the kind of person that is a challenge to photograph because she doesn't like pictures of herself. She is wonderful and nice and photogenic, but such a self critic. I took a lot of shots of her today and the black and white are definitely my favorite. Everyone looks better in black and white and I just really like the light and the way she looks in these. I am not sure if I like the setting for all of them but I am just trying to find what works best etc. I am trying to learn as much as possible and I know that no amount of analyzing replaces experience.

I have been trying to have my camera with me more often, as per my goal. I took my camera to work the other day. It's such a strange environment, I don't think that I take full advantage of that opportunity. It's so unique and so colorful! I have been there for years watching the people and the
excitement. I think I sometimes forget just how fun it must be for someone who doesn't see it everyday. It's also a beautiful place to work and I was just trying to appreciate it for it's aesthetic value. I don't think I appreciate how much time I spend here and how much a part of my life it has been.




I have definitely been learning a lot about where to draw inspiration from. I have been looking a lot of other artists work and I don't think I am appreciating my work enough. I have a lot of strong images and I am a little bit of a perfectionist and I tend to be overly picky sometimes. I think that that is a good thing because I am constantly challenging myself, but I also don't want to get in my own way!
I have a lot of family coming into town this week/weekend and I am really excited to get the opportunity to see and photograph them!

No comments: